Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Introduction and First Project

Hello, and welcome to Heathens of Cinema.

I've had the idea to start this blog for a while, and I finally just sat down and got it started.

I'm a filmmaker. I love film. Sure, most people would say they "like movies," but there's a difference. It's about appreciating films as an art form. It's about believing that film can be more than just entertainment. It's about getting overly excited when a film does something totally new or original or reminds you of why you love film in the first place. I love watching films, I love talking about films, and this is the platform for me to do that.

Since I want this blog to have some sense of structure and continuity and not just be a disjointed stream of "what I watched this week," I'll be undertaking this blog as a series of "projects." Basically, I go with a set of films - a director's body of work, a studio's canon, a franchise, etc. - and work through it to completion, giving my thoughts on each film here. And we'll start it off with...

Disney's Animated Canon

There are few entities that have had as big of an impact on film (and, by extension, on pop culture as a whole) than Disney. It was Disney that elevated animation from shorts to full-length films, and for many people, their name remains synonymous with film animation. Over 78 years, Disney has amassed a canon of 54 films, and while it's impossible to get a winner every time out with that kind of output, it still stands as one of the pillars of the animation medium.

And we're going to watch them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment